Tell your Rep. “Vote No on Defense Authorization Bill”
Tell a Friend
Tell Your Representative: "Vote No on 'Defense' Appropriation Bill"
NO to war and weapons spending!
Support Healthcare NOT Warfare Candidates for Congress
The 2013 "Defense" Appropriations Bill is scheduled for a vote this week. It would spend $519 billion for the Pentagon plus $88.4 billion more on the War in Afghanistan, which costs $230,000 per minute. Since 2001, military spending has increased by 81%. Last week, the House voted to slash funding for the food stamp program. Tell your Representative: "Enough is enough! Vote NO on runaway war and weapons spending!"
Proponents of military spending claim that it makes our country safer. But no amount of deadly weapons can make up for the self-inflicted wound of this drain on our national resources. Our military spending is higher than at any time during the Cold War and roughly matches the combined military spending of the rest of the world.
We need this money to rebuild America: a peaceful, sustainable America with good jobs, education and healthcare for all.Militarism undermines America's standing in the world, making us weaker, not stronger. Please urge your Representative to vote NO on the 2013 "Defense" Appropriations Bill.
Representative John Lewis explained: "War is not the answer. War is obsolete. It cannot be used as a tool of our foreign policy. It's barbaric... if I had to do it all over again, I would have voted with Barbara Lee. It was raw courage on her part. So, because of that, I don’t vote for funding for war. I vote against preparation for the military. I will never again go down that road."
The bill would allocate 57% of all discretionary spending for war and weapons, leaving only 43% for the programs we need to build a decent society. The House leadership, obsessed as it is with cutting social programs, is making the appropriations process more grueling than ever. Please tell your Representative to oppose this spending for death and destruction.
Call the US House of Rep. switchboard and ask for your representative 202-224-1904